Thursday 16 February 2012

Statement for the MSA: submission for the BA (Hons) Architecture


Between my enthusiasm and the abundance of resources, knowledge and experience, I know my true potential will be reached at the MSA. Firstly, the benefits of being able to utilise the facilities at both the school of built environment and the department of art and design seem particularly valuable. On visiting, I became vastly more aware of the MSA’s distinctly different approach. Right from the start, the focus was predominantly on a stimulating and varied range of new techniques encouraging me to develop my ideas through experimentation and exploration. Exploring ideas through film-making and also the recycling of old books especially intrigued me.
The most recent building that fascinated me was the Lloyd’s building in London. From the onset, the evident process of design was enormously different. There was a separation of the services such as staircases lifts and water pipes on the outside, thus leaving the inside as open space. So, one can easily understand why it is often referred to as ‘the inside-out building’ and can notice a relationship with the Pompidou Centre in Paris, which is not surprising as Richard Rogers was also one of the architects assigned to this masterpiece. I was quite astounded to discover that Lloyd’s building was constructed in the late 1970s/early 80s as it has such a futuristic and high-tech look and, in my opinion, is really quite revolutionary due to how unusual its space allocation is.
Additionally, I have recently been inspired by Frank Gehry’s architectural works, due to the mutation of materials to create captivating aesthetical exteriors. For example, the
Starwood Hotels, in particular Hotel Marqués de Riscal in northern Spain, overlays lots of large, coloured, stainless steel and titanium canopies to create a natural looking shelter. This relates to my art project this year of ‘Natural Creation’ where I have been looking at structures in nature. Hence, this piece of work has caught my eye as I see the sculptural shapes and form in his work reflect that of nature. Also, the exterior aesthetics of all his works are so awe-inspiring and use such a personal perspective on architecture. Specifically, the greatly artistic nature of his architectural works, to me, looks more to be a creation of practical and functional sculptures.
Norman Foster’s reconstructed dome on top of the Reichstag would be a particularly exciting visit for me as I find the pictures of the interior captivating. The compilation of the winding spiral walkways, the lavish use of glass and mirrored cone, allowing the public to view its workings and directing light down into the chamber, brings together shape and form in a unique and intriguing way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment